Thursday, April 30, 2009

Award Winning Photographer




Hi all!




So this past weekend Ryan and I attended the NHPPA conference in North Conway, NH and had a blast. I submitted 3 photos, all winning awards with 2 obtaining scores 3 points from blues, one entitled "Petals of the Sun" and the other entitled "Rosie in Pink". Once I had heard the judges were the toughest anyone had seen and noticed the photographers who hadn't received red ribbons in years receiving them at this conference made me feel even better about the quality of my work. The third photo I submitted was one I knew was just a "drive by shot" but I submitted it to see what I should do to make it an award winner, it still received third place so I was happy with that.
So why did the above two not receive blues, I was told most likely because the reflection of the flower wasn't straight on (thought that could be debated) and the reflection was too bright making it hard to decide which was my main subject. On the print with the baby I had a pink matte which I was told didn't match the pink in the background and helped lead the eye to the white instead of the baby's face. It was suggested I put a white boarder on next time. That was it, everything else I was told was great and that in fact the baby's photo was a 100pt expression so I do plan to enter another competition with the white boarder next time to see if it makes a difference.
This was my first conference, the first competition I have entered in 2 years of photography so I am thrilled with my results and can't wait to enter again next year with new photos. There are some great photographers out there, creative, and talented, I am privileged to be participating in the same events with them and scoring the same scored.